Benefits of employing a Personal Assistant
Why might someone employ a PA?
There are many reasons why an individual may choose a Personal Assistant who offers care to support them.
Employing a Personal Assistant allows you to:
- Have choice and control over your care
It allows the individual to choose exactly what they want support with and when they want this support.
- Decide who supports you
It allows the individual to choose exactly who they want support with – they can choose someone with similar interests and values.
You have lots of choice when it comes to employing a Personal Assistant – you can look for a Personal Assistant online, in your local community, a friend or via an agency or organisation.
- Be flexible
Unlike agencies which work on schedules, you can decide exactly when you would like your Personal Assistant to support you. As you directly employ your Personal Assistant, you can negotiate and agree timings and schedules with them first-hand.
- Have one person supporting you
It means that the individual has one consistent carer that they can form a connection with, rather than having different agency staff.
Key benefits of employing a Personal Assistant who offers care and support include:
- Receive support in different aspects of your life
- Employ a Personal Assistant who has the same interests as you
- Build a longer-term professional relationship with your Personal Assistant
- Employ a Personal Assistant you have a good connection with
- Feel a difference to your life
- Create your own tailor-made package of care
- Employ one individual who works directly for you, rather than agency staff who may change regularly
Who can employ a PA?
Anyone with a care and support need can employ a Personal Assistant. This includes:
- Direct Payment recipients
- Self funders (people who do not receive a budget from the local authority for their support)
- A representative of someone with care and support needs
Employing and managing staff can be daunting at first. However, with the right support and information, people employing Personal Assistants can have positive experience.